× Members

To apply early or not apply, that`s the question.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137856 by Lawrence
Hi,
I`m 66 and virtually 80% blind because of a detached retina, glaucoma and a cataract resulting from the initial eye ops 20 yrs ago.

I`ve received indefinite lower rate mobility DLA for approx. 16yrs.

Over the last 12 months or so my sight has deteriorated partly due to the glaucoma but also because of the slowly enlarging cataract in my remaining `good` eye. My peripheral vision has decreased.

There have recently been occasions when I have both fallen over low level street furniture because I haven`t seen it due to the reduced peripheral vision in the lower part of my eye and when I have walked into vertical objects such as light coloured street lights etc. I ideally need my wife with me when I`m outdoors.for safety`s sake.

My question is should I apply for re-assessment of my DLA (to PIP) OR leave things as they are until I`m called for a re-assessment?

I feel that my situation has deteriorated but I don`t want to risk rocking the boat.

Your advice would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Lawerence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137872 by Gordon
Lawrence

You options will depend on your personal circumstances.

Most of the UK mainland is now active for PIP, there is just one set of postcodes left which will go live on 27 July. See

www.gov.uk/government/publications/pip-postcode-map-uk

If you are in an active PIP postcode then reporting a Change of Circumstances will result in you being invited to claim PIP, once this process has started you cannot remain on DLA.

If you are in one of the remaining postcodes that are not lie then providing you report the change before 27 July then you should be re-assessed for DLA, but you will need to meet all of the DWP deadlines.

Whether you should report a change at all is up to you, you might want to check our DLA and PIP claim guides, the PIP Assessment guide issued by the DWP and it would be worth your also checking the RNIB site as well.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla/#dlaclaims

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

and

www.rnib.org.uk/?gclid=Cj0KEQjww42tBRCO-...bgSQxC72IaAoZX8P8HAQ

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lawrence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.